Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I have been commissioned.

Welcome back everyone. I hope that all enjoyed the holidays. I hope that it was safe and everyone was able to be with family and friends.

Alright, as the title says....I have been commissioned to answer a burning question that was left in a comment in the previous post. The question is basically asking about the origins of cosmic Spider-Man and my nerdiness might be able to shine a light on the situation. Which is going to be kinda tricky. I can't really recall which happened first but I do believe that it happened in this order. Again, I am just doing this from memory and searched the internet for only pictures to give a visual of the costume and the exact comic covers of the cosmic spidey events.


First, our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man was "possessed" by Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel was a cosmic being and was killed during a fight. However, his spirit continued to roam the universe. Now, if memory serves me correctly, in the issue Spider-Man gets Captain Marvels' powers, the powers are bestowed to a dog first. He resuces his owners from a certain death due to a hot air balloon mishap. Then the spirit leaves the dog and goes on to search for another host. The powers never stay with a particular being because it will drive the host completely insane. It stays long enough to complete a huge task then leaves. The picture shown here is the Captain Marvel version of cosmic Spider-Man. I believe that this version lasted a couple of issues and can't really remembered what Spidey fought and when Marvel's powers left him. There is a issue of What-If that goes into the scenario of what if the powers stayed with Spider-Man. And as all great What-If's that deal with Spider-Man, Spidey is killed at the end.


The other cosmic Spider-Man was in his traditional costume. Spidey got his powers from a lab accident at the college during an experiment that Peter Parker was helping with. Basically, a genterator exploded and Parker jumped in to save the professor from certain doom. However, the generator proved to be a conduit to give Spider-Man the power cosmic. This story line can be found in this issue shown. Again, going from memory, this issue basically starts off with some villians getting together and deciding to fight each other's nemisis. The line of thinking here is that the people they normally fight are used to fighting them and this is why they are always being defeated. So, by switching heroes, then they can defeat said hero because the hero won't know how to fight them. And the Trapster gets to fight Spidey in this issue which is a Human Touch villian...I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong here. At any rate, Spidey fights Trapster at the beginning and gets the better of him. Trapster is gloating over is victory and truly believes he destroyed Spidey. But, the wall crawler was able to escape death from the hands of the Trapster. After the fight, the accident happens (which is explained earlier) and Spidey gets the power cosmic. He first realizes his new power when he comes to the rescue of some citizens when a power cable is cut and flailing wildley. He realized that he should have been killed from the electricity when he was struck by the cable while he was protecting people from it. Then later on, he faces Trapster again with his new powers. Needless to say, Spidey mops the floor with him. Like I said, this issue begins a series where Spidey fights an array of people, like Magneto. Which was another good issue. He fights Magneto in a junkyard. Talk about a very big disadvange that Spidey was facing. Fighting the master of metal in an old junkyard full of old cars. Yep, it was a very good fight. In that same issue, Spider-Man learned that he could fly.
*Just a side note. This same style cover was used when Spider-Man lost his powers for an issue. Basic differences are that Spidey is doing a shrug with his sholders and a crook was coming through the doorway instead of Trapster.

Now, I just had to mention this because of what was in the last comment. Yes, there was a tussle with the Hulk. As seen here in this issue, which was drawn by none other than Mr. Todd McFarlane. Now this wasn't the first time Spider-Man faced the Hulk. Basically, after defeating Magneto, the bad guys start to get worried about Spidey's new powers. And Parker was getting used to his new found powers. I believe in this issue, he dispatched a group of bad guys trying to blow up the Statue of Liberty with ease. He whipped them and encased the bombs they had with webbing and used his cosmic powers to turn said webbing into adamantium. The bombs went off but did no damage to the structure. At any rate, the bad guys go out into the desert and find the grey Hulk sitting on his "throne". They made a deal with the Hulk to destroy Spider-Man. They began to fight and Spidey was just trying to keep him at bay. Until he noticed that innocent lives were in danger and the Hulk was not going to stop until the job was done. So, Spidey punched the Hulk so hard that he put Hulk into orbit. But, being the character that Spidey is, he flew up and brought the big lug back to Earth.

There were many more adventures. At one point, he fought the Tri-Sentinel created by Loki. But it is hard to remember because I haven't picked those issues up in a long time. All this happened when I was a little nerd...just starting out in my nerd quest.

Now, that is what I remember about the cosmic Spidey era. This is just from my memory banks and not looking up information nor going back through old issues to read up on it. Granted that I did look up pics to put into this post but I believe the pics are nice visuals. If there are those out there that could add and/or correct anything that I have posted, then feel free to post a comment. Hope that answers or brings back any memories of the cosmic Spidey era, Cory. Heh heh. Well, that is enough dorkism for awhile...later all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

I'd forgotten about 90% of that stuff, and I still don't remember a large part of it, so I'll tip my hat to your amazing ability to recall small detail!

I can remember seeing that issue of Amazing Spider-Man as a kid and being so freaked out by the fact that McFarlane was drawing The Hulk that I can't believe I remember anything else about it.

Well done, sir!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Temporarily sane said...

Why thank you, sir. Yet again, my useless knowledge has been useful to someone. I don't know why my brain locks in on stuff like this. If I could lock in stuff that was taught in school like I do with comics, then I would be a freaking genius and fly through college. But ah well. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't trade my useless knowledge for anything. I like freaking people out with it.

Well, if you need anything else Spidey related, then just come back and ask away. Heh heh.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home