Monday, September 11, 2006

My debut in a softball leauge...part two

Ok, so the last I had left off was that I injured myself (which is not a new thing) and was traveling to get some professional help. The adrenaline was wearing off and was hoping that the nearby doctors would make the pain go away.
I staggered into the clinic. The pain was really setting in. Each step I took made it worse. I went up to front desk to check in. Now note that my sholder is below where it normally is. And not slightly lower. It looked like my arm was connect next to my ribs. And this is basically how the conversation went between the receptionist and myself:
Receptionist: Can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I need to see a doctor.
R: What is your problem?
M: (pause) Um...my sholder is dislocated.
R: Ok, I just need for you to fill out this paper work.
M: Could I just tell you my information? I am right handed and can't use my arm at the moment.
R: Just fill it out the best you can.
M: Ooooookay
R: (gets on the phone to page available doctors) Yes, we have a patient out here that thinks he dislocated his sholder.
"Thinks"!!!!! Look at my sholder!!! Does this look normal to you? Do you guys get people that have arms that grow out their sides? What have I got myself into?
Luckily, I was taken to the back about 5 minutes after entering the clinic. They sat me down in a room and asked me a few questions. They basically wanted to know how I dislocated my sholder, where I was at, when did it happen and stuff like that. They also asked me how much pain I was feeling. Now, at this point, I was feeling the full effect of the injury. The adrenaline had wore off and I was trying not to concentrate on the pain. I was trying to fight through and ignore it. After I let them know that it freakin' hurt, they gave me some morphine.
Now I sat there in that little room fighting the pain cause the morphine hadn't kicked in yet. I did have some company there, my friend's wife had drove me to the clinic. I think she tried her best to keep a conversation going to keep my mind occupied during the times the doctors weren't checking in on me. About 45 minutes passed between when the nurses came in to quiz me and this nurse.
She came by to let me know that we need to take some x-rays of your arm. I wanted to punch that nurse after what she put me through. She told me to climb up on the table and lay down. The morphine still hadn't kicked in yet so I felt every bit of pain on every little movement. Then she had me lift my arm and hold it. And she was getting mad at me cause I wasn't going fast enough and holding it up long enough. But we were finally through with that part.
I went back into my little part of the torture chamber to wait. And I waited for another hour before the doctor and another nurse came in to see me. Note that the morphine still hadn't kicked in. They were finally ready to pop my sholder back in. FINALLY! IT'S ABOUT TIME!
The doctor went over the procedure with the nurse. Um..so...she hasn't done this before. Um..do I have a say in this? She grabbed my arm to pull on it while the doctor put pressure on my sholder to pop it back in. As the doctor was giving her instructions, she kept lifting my arm up and down and tugging on it a little. I think she quit when I looked up at her with an evil look. That was not a good feeling when someone tugs and pulls on a dislocated sholder. After the game plan had been settled, they did the deed. Through a burst of pain, the sholder was in. And it finally felt good after 2 hours of discomfort.
We met the guys back at the softball field and the game was just finishing up. After seeing that I was alright, they started making fun of me. Ahhhh, friends. We started home. I don't remember much on the way home because the morphine final kicked in and I passed out.
All this trouble and pain for a few fleeting seconds of glory in the first inning of the first game of the first season of softball. Knowing what I know now, would I do it again? Probably. I would probably punch a few people with me good arm. That would be about the only change. Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home